(November) There was nothing better to beat early pregnancy anxiety and blahs in Rio than an offer to work in Angola for
Human Rights Watch. Since going to Angola is almost like “going home” it seemed like a great opportunity for Alex to drink his first “agua do Bengo” (water from the Bengo River) to ensure that he will always return. As always, I only managed one “journal entry” before getting swept up with work, hanging out with friends, and feeling both energetic and overwhelmed by the intensity of Luanda. In addition to endless interviews with UN officials, NGOs and donors, Alex and I got to dance salsa with Damasio, eat funge and chocos on the Ilha, celebrate Rosita’s and Marcelina’s birthdays, and experience several all-too-familiar power outages.

And once again I was reminded how lucky my son is in comparison to the hundreds of Angolans that will be born on the same day. Alex won’t have only a one in three chance of surviving beyond the age of five. He’ll get all his vaccinations and have the right to have a citizenship (double in fact!) and civil identification. He’ll go to school and drink clean water. He’ll vote in fair and free elections (hopefully!) and won’t have to fear landmines or unpreventable tropical diseases. I do hope, though, that we’re able to teach him care and compassion for those here and everywhere who suffer unnecessarily due to injustice and to fight for what is right and wrong.
Click HERE for more photos.