Sunday, October 18, 2009

Let it snow!

I promised Ze and Ana they would see snow before leaving, but I never imagined I'd be able to deliver a true whiteout snowstorm. It was a cloudy day when we set out for Montreux through the amazing Lavaux vineyards.
DSC_0944
We headed up towards Caux and Glion, resigned that the best we could do was to see some beautiful fall foliage. Suddenly I noticed what looked like frost on the grass so we continued winding our way up the mountain. Eureka! We found a patch of old snow and everyone was thrilled.
DSC_0962
And then it started to rain and in a few minutes, the rain turned to slush. We jumped in the car and continued even further up the road until it really began to snow and snow and snow.
DSC_0973 DSC_0978 DSC_0992 PA170463
By the time we'd had our fill of snow, the sun was peeking out from behind the clouds and the snow was melting on the roads.
DSC_1000
The cows in the hills below seemed to be the only ones completely unphased by what had happened. What a great day!
PA170481